Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pendulum Motion

I had absolutely no idea that pendulums were used to tell time, so I was interested as soon as I started reading this article. I also didn't know that Galileo invented the pendulum, or maybe I did and I just didn't remember.  I love when the article talks about how much the discovery of the pendulum affected so many other fields such as mechanics and astronomy. Learning about these discoveries and how much of an affect they had at that time period for other studies is kind of exciting to hear about. I can't imagine what it would be like to have discovered something as big as the pendulum and time telling. The people of that era must have been amazed. I also never really thought of pendulums having anything to do with navigation, but after reading it is interesting to think of how the people got along before it was discovered. As far as the dispute that was discussed in the article, I'm not quite sure I fully understand it. However, It blows my mind that so many scientific figures studied the pendulum and how much such a simple discovery has lead to how we live our lives today. Although most things are done digitally now, we would be nowhere if it wasn't for this discovery. It's kind of sad how little I knew about it, but this article has given me appreciation for the pendulum with the history and importance it has shared.

1 comment:

  1. I agree . . . I never thought of a pendulum as a huge scientific breakthrough. To me it seemed like a novelty. Sure it had its uses, but a scientific marvel? I never would have thought! For my post, I focused on the thought behind re-examining the uses of the pendulum. I think it is interesting to see all of the different things that people took away from this article. Good post!

    ReplyDelete